My Photo
Name:
Location: Jersey City, NJ, United States

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Business

What I don't like in a conversation is too many points of business. However, I dislike a lack of purpose as well.

The conversations I'm speaking of clearly aren't business-oriented, over-the-phone interviews. Then I have no problem. I actually mean more like hanging out with friends, calling beautiful girls, or meeting someone new on a train or in a bar.

So what's business? Almost invariably it is making plans to get together another time. There have been times when I could feel myself steering the conversation toward topics that might make the jump to making plans less awkward. But this ruins the whole talk! So in particular I'm sorry to RD for eliminating joyous bantar in favor of making a date, I'm sorry to Joe and Brian for constantly pressuring them for answers to my problems, and I'm sorry to every stranger I've met in a bar with whom I couldn't just relax.

Purpose, on the other hand, is organic. Having no purpose is quite obvious: disjoint sentences, with pauses, with no common theme. Organic purpose is effortless, exciting, and pure fun. So keep that in mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home