My Photo
Name:
Location: Jersey City, NJ, United States

Thursday, January 19, 2006

A thought on Ulysses

I've never considered myself particularly good at English criticism, but since I took that Ulysses course somehow I feel the right to an opinion. Usually the source of immunity to denunciations of my analyses is to avoid symbolism. Not that I like symbolism much anyway. So consider the following and tell me if it's incisive or way off.

In the Ithaca episode, Stephen and Bloom follow parallel courses for the first half, then, at a climax, Stephen escapes to the night. Bloom's story continues for an equal amount of time, gradually fading into nothing. Into sleep. This arc of events actually mirrors a man's life as a whole, which is particularly apparent since the whole of Ulysses exposes the life of two men, one at the apex of action, and one fading into routine. Stephen, in his twenties, is constantly moving, creating, and experiencing. Bloom, in his forties, only notices the slighest of niceties in his life, and his greatest excitement is this young man, Stephen. The very layout of this chapter is precisely this arc: the first half exciting, and coming to a climax, the second half slowly and comfortably getting ready for bed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice, indeed. I still prefer the nausicaa episode though. ready for eliot's babbling?

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home