My Photo
Name:
Location: Jersey City, NJ, United States

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Is it coffee?

I like coffee.

I like tea, I love the java jive and it loves me. I still remember all the old songs I used to sing with Joanna. Those were great times-- how I wished she'd wanted to do it more often! Or that I'd met someone since who can sing jazz. Well, besides me. But then I'd still have to find someone to accompany me!

My voice has gotten a lot better in the last year. I mean, I made my biggest breakthrough about three years ago when I realized that if my notes were anything they were flat. So I sharpened them up etc. And my latest progress has mainly been motivated by actually singing in my range (which is about a 4th down from where I've been having to sing my whole life). And in addition I've been adjusting to what my voice sounds like. It's that I take the sound that's there and make it good, rather than take what I think would sound good and try to make it my voice.

This is what I think Chalie Parker did. I feel with his time, that he knows exactly when the note comes out of his instrument, not that he knows when the beat is and then he blows to hit it. That's why he sounds so relaxed even though he's going a million miles an hour.

I still need more inspiration to sing the songs. And write new ones. The world can always use more music. What kind of KCRW member would I be if I didn't believe so?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home