My Photo
Name:
Location: Jersey City, NJ, United States

Friday, October 14, 2005

What I should have said

I've taken to carrying a white notebook around with me at all times, and when I stumble upon an especially well-constructed thought, I write it down. Not very original. But notice that, based on my personality, these thoughts will most likely be what I'd say to certain people at certain times. And the more I analyze them, the more I get to know myself. So let me dive into the theory another time, and start posting these snipits of fake conversations right away.

Unless stated otherwise, I of my current age am the speaker. You can probably judge the context.


*** It's so liberal of you: Crowding out everything we want because of this addiction to compromise!

-To my mom and Rob

*** It's good to hear (obviously anyone likes to hear that sombody wants him), but you'd better give me a few days to let this information sink in, lest I say something I don't mean.

-To Shadia if she ever called me

*** You're the best Starbuck's employee I've ever seen... you make me enjoy my frappuccino so much more.

-To the cute girl in the Starbucks

*** I forgot that life goes on after the Ph.D. The question is: will I be so drastically changed that that life isn't worth it?

-To people who know how to have fun.

***I cannot and should not compartmentalize these aspects of my life.

-To my dad

*** I have a number of things I'd like to discuss with you, not the least trivial of which is ars amatoria.

-To Sara, the sexy post-doc

*** Think of July 1, 2005 as microcosm of what I can accomplish in the next four years. Is that fair? To dip current standards to spring higher next time? Of course. It's called investment.

-A pep talk

*** I particularly like the idea of studying at the New York Public Library.

-To my dad

*** This notebook is an exercise in thought collection, and boredom. To have a new thought I must cease reflection on the idea of having a new one. Therefore, I do not sit down and write. I sit and think. And when a new thought comes, I write it down.

-To someone special enough to read this notebook

*** Whereas the Greeks were thrilled to develop reasonable thoughts on metaphysics and technology, I will be forever plagued by the fact that these thoughts have no end.

-To purveyors of science

*** For me, philosophy is more the exercise of saying the problems of the human condition more and more poetically, than it is to develop a system of thought which is somehow deeper than the one I already have.

-To my European self

***The very last time I walked home at dawn.

-A Montreal sympathizer

***I'm trying to reclaim all the old aspects of my life, but now they've been perverted.

-To my future girlfriend

***Is there anyone you think you might want to bring to the party?

-To the hot girl in break-dancing class (a subtle boyfriend inquiry)

*** I see now that statistical procedures can be motivated both by actual situations and purely mathematical theory. When think through both of these faculties simultaneously, one approaches the noumena we're studying. Question: Is the point of studying statistics to mathematically justify procedures and ideas that are intuitively useful?

-To my future self

1 Comments:

Blogger nroa9882 said...

Nothing to Fucking say to me, bitch!

*** to Owen when I next see him

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home