My Photo
Name:
Location: Jersey City, NJ, United States

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The anti-anti-racist

You may be thinking that's a double negative, but consider it as a
philosophy that calls for as pure objectivism as you can muster.

Consider the following article:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110007457

Here, Shelby Steele exhibits the relationship between blacks and
whites in the same style as Simone de Beauvoir famously did between
men and women back in the 1950s. This method is definitely a very
useful approach to sociology. I myself have noticed the concept of
definition by the "other" in many aspects of life, particularly
Canada, and how much Canadian culture is defined by its difference
from American culture.

But let me apply some idealism here. The goal is for the "name, age,
race, creed" of people not to make them unequal. (Sorry, that was a
forced quotation from Ulysses). Using the sociological strategy above,
while it breeds perspective on the situation, does not lead us to the
ideal. As the means lie embedded in the ends, real racial equality
will not be obtained using this sociological phenomenon to guide us.

I'm young enough to remember when I was young enough to approach the
subject perfectly objectively. Unlike my parents' generation, I had no
need to be anti-racist, because I was never racist in the first place.
The fact of the matter is that anti-racism is a form of racism in
itself. So I became an anti-anti-racist. Which is to say I do not
support bastardizations of the language (and especially our laws!) in
support of some conquest over racism.

Unfortunately, after time, anti-anti-racism will be considered racism
as well. Which means that the true objective stance recurs infinitely.
A difficult proposition and one which I have yet to resolve.

The other point here is that I demand of my peers the same objective
stance that I have. Or moreso. If you can't take the heat, get out of
my generation.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take issue with your terminology here. Specifically, I don't actually think that anti-racism is, itself, a form of racism. I think you're conflating two distinct concepts: anti-racism and reverse racism.

In my view, anti-racism has as a goal the pure objectivity (and not objectivism, unless you're talking art) that you seek. Anti-racism properly defined is nothing more than the wish to eliminate distinctions based on race when race is not a bona fide relevant factor to the distinction that is sought to be made.

Reverse racism, on the other hand, generally has as its goal the correction of historical injustices (to borrow Shelby Steele's term) precisely by applying in reverse the irrelevant distinctions based on race that caused those injustices in the first place (i.e. your mangling of language and laws, affirmative action etc.).

With the terms defined that way, anti-anti-racism becomes merely the double-negative that you sought to avoid and it also becomes a bad thing (normatively speaking from my point of view). So, while I'm generally not in agreement with stuff coming out of the Hoover Institution (and I disagree with some of the basic premises of Steele's article), I kind of see the point that Steele is making and I'm not entirely sure it's a bad one.

On the up-side, it means you don't actually have to deal with the issue of infinite recurrence to attain true objectivity. It was there from the start. :-)

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home