My Photo
Name:
Location: Jersey City, NJ, United States

Friday, October 21, 2005

Where to live...

Take the Hill Center as the center point. Then consider New Jersey as a state and all its possible living locations. This is the biggest decision pending right now. So let's go through them.

1) Stay here in grad housing. This place sucks. I mean, I did meet some cool people so far, and it's kinda cool that we're all together here. But altgother it blows. It's not the city. The only way I'd consider another year here is if I actually got a car and that made a big difference.

2) The College Ave. side of New Brunswick. Filled with students-- undergrad style. Lots of life at night, but no nightlife. I mean, there's junk around, and it is junk, but at least it's around.

3) The Clydz side of New Brunswick. I just mentioned the best part-- the martini bar. There are quite a few 20-somethings in this region, but the region is small. Very small. And it doesn't peter out, it turns into a ghetto. A little more expensive than College Ave. but probably not to the point of fault. There's a starbucks and shitty grocerty store.

4) Highland Park. This is on the other side of the river from the NB train station. An old Jewish community. Some cute stores, most likely closed on saturdays. The commute to school is a few minutes with a car, 20 minutes on bike, 30-40 on foot. The main draw of this area is that there are stores so I wouldn't need a car, and the fact that lots of grad students I've met are considering moving there. I really like the idea of a grad student community.

5) Newark-- still Brick City. No further info.

6) Princeton. Pretty, expensive, stores. Probably couldn't get a place close enough to the train station. So I'd need a car. This is a bit of a contradiction.

7) Jersey City. A veritable Balhalla. So close to Manhattan you can see the skyline. It's also got a cute light rail that will take you to Hoboken. I'll see more about this place on Sunday, but it's very cool. Now here's the problem: I have the commute clocked at 1:20 during normal hours, almost 2 on off hours (i.e. 10PM etc.). This means I've got to be really sure. I do like to read on the train, and to be honest I don't get much reading done in life anyway so this is an opportunity. Two more issues: some of the stat kids I talked to said they might want to move out there. Maybe I could organize a carpool. The other one: Joe is a potential roommate in a venture like this, which would be very cool. The other thing is that that might not be available if I put the move to Jersey City off a year and chill in New Brunswick next year.

See? Lots of research. Pretty good, huh?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not find a clear point there...

2:48 AM  
Blogger Owen Martin said...

The least esoteric blog I've ever written and you choose now not to find a clear point?

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My vote would be Highland Park, especially if there are other grad students who are going to be moving there. I like the idea of a small community with little stores where you can get to know people and feel like it's a community while still not being totally immersed in your school and only your school (and I speak from experience...). But that's my vote, and you are not me. Best of luck!

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home