My Photo
Name:
Location: Jersey City, NJ, United States

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Clothes

There seems to have developed a clothes problem. You may have noticed,
if you've known me personally, that my style of dressing is usually
referred to as "European", "metrosexual", or "gay". Not that I'm all
that extreme with it. And that's my point.

What if I were to tell you that I really hate wearing clothes that
flop out the front, bulge out the back, hang off my shoulders, or fall
down my hips. Can you accept that? Good then know this: only clothes
marked with a capital S are the ones which don't do this! I think I'm
entitled as much as anyone to present myself as aesthetically as I
can, and not only that, I prefer to!

Basically, you have two options with clothes, once you become aware of
their impact. First, you can dress to blend in perfectly. No one can
claim your clothes are bad, but there's nothing special to them. This
is what I did in high school by wearing college t-shirts and khaki's.

The other option is to dress to impress. How do you impress people if
you're not going to a black-tie event? You have to make it subtle.
Very subtle. Here's where I find suburban New Jersey (spelled
Nugioirsi in Italian, by the way) fails miserably. Basically I see
three options: you have no clue and so wear sweatshirts, you're too
lazy to dress so you wear track pants, or you want to get laid so you
wear Abercrombie button-downs. So I'm not going to imitate the people
around me. Not now.

The issue goes very deep into personality. The point being that you
imitate the personality of the person who would wear the clothes
you're wearing. Maybe I would be cool with this shit if I actually
wore the uber-American style I encounter from time to time. But as of
yet I can't handle putting forth a face like that. My body isn't big,
my face isn't gruff, my hair is blond. I dress accordingly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home