My Photo
Name:
Location: Jersey City, NJ, United States

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Girls with American Express

Girls with American Express cards are cute. Really, that's adorable.
I've spent a lot of effort trying to determine why this is. You know
me, my tastes can be pretty weird: I really liked girls with
retainers back in high school. So why American Express?

Well, first off, localize the group of girls we're discussing.
They're post-college, pre-career 20-somethings who are single. And
cute by their own rite. And single.

Now that that's settled, consider how they must be building their
lives, just like me. They have to establish a credit line, and when
you first start working, the only card you can get is an American
Express card. Somehow, of course, I didn't get one myself. It makes
me think the girls must be a little naïve not to go straight to visa.
Or maybe they have bad credit.

Maybe it's the idea that they had to think this up at some point. "I
need a credit card that daddy doesn't pay off." They had to apply for
one, get it in the mail, and start to carry it around in that huge
wallet full of cards that girls always have. The fact that they have
to pay it off later, or just imagining it, is itself cute.

That said, I think there is no way for me to say that American
Express cards on girls is cute without sounding entirely sexist. But
isn't that the point of attraction, after all?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home