My Photo
Name:
Location: Jersey City, NJ, United States

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Bjork

Let me preface this discussion of Bjork with a discussion of Bjork's looks. Not unlike most guys I've talked to, I don't find her very attracitve. But no one can deny that she is extremely cute. I've always been of the school: cute $\Rightarrow$ hot. And in this case it just might work.

On to the music. I've come to realize that Bjork's lyrics are a lot deeper than my first impression. Surely the melodies are always a combination of melancholy, sinister, lyrical, and playful, and always with dark harmonies. The lyrics, to me, don't look very good on paper. Let me cite one that I will investigate in more detail as time goes on:

This way is as is she
And he placed her
Unclothed
Long long longlegged
Atop of the family tree

And if he has chosen the point
While she is under him
Then leave her coily placed crouched sucking him
For it is I with
Her on knee

It seems that these words are mostly all cloying, typical poetic words. "Longlegged", "family tree", "coily" are all words that a crappy poet would force into a poem. But with her, the lyrics go along perfectly with the timbre of her voice, the melodies, and especially her style. She sings high, almost weakly, but almost too strong as well. One word for it: emotional. I've compared her singing to other female singers of a similar genre (cf. Inara George) and it's as if the other women are singing this way because they imagine other people will understand them better if they do. Bjork, on the other hand, sings this way because this is the way she feels.

There is no way for me to know this, of course, but that's the effect the music has on me. And well, that's all that matters. Now let's reëxamine the lyrics. You may have noticed that they're actually very explicit. They're exposing. And when Bjork sings these words it's as if she's showing us one of her most private moments. Whereas other girls (singers or not) expect me to understand the profundity of their virginity (albeit gone), with her I don't need any background! I grasp her emotions without any historical context. I consider this a virtue in any art form.

To top off the Bjork anecdote, let me say that she's a kind of girl I've become familiar with. The emotional type. And my desire for a girl like this just increases exponentially when I hear her sing about it. And why shouldn't I want a girl like this? It's as if my whole life I've been trying to find an antidote to this type. I think it's better to take each girl as objectively as possible, each time a new one comes around.

But that said, Bjork is unique. Which is why I'm so happy I wound up fucking her in a recent dream! Yes, I think one's allowed to be proud of that. I mean, it happens about as often as actually getting laid, and about as arbitrarily as well. Okay, it's not the same pride, but it's pride nonetheless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home