My Photo
Name:
Location: Jersey City, NJ, United States

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A viable definition of art

Someone once asked me, "Hey Owen, what's the definition of art?"

I thought about it for a minute, stroking my beard, and finally responded: "Well, it's anything that's in an art museum."

She responded, "Um, well then what's an art museum?"

I said: "Oh, it's a building that has a whole bunch of art in it."

See, it's like a chicken and the egg problem. Which came first, the art or the art museums? A grave question, one which I pose to you, with the hope of seeing some responses in the comments section.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

but it's not a chicken or an egg question. art museums are relatively late to the art scene. what about italian or flemish patrons of the art? the art they paid for was certainly not placed in an art museum. it was in their homes.

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home